Learn Danish for free - the official Danish Education
If you are a self-sufficient citizen
As an employee, student, accompanying family member, cross-border commuter, au pair, etc. you will be offered the official Danish Education if you are over 18 years, and:
- Live in Aarhus Municipality and have a CPR (central person registration) number, or
- Live in Aarhus Municipality and exercise your right to free movement based on EU regulations, or
- Are a cross-border commuter from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, or
- Are a citizen from the Nordic country
- Danish born overseas from Greenland or the Faroe Islands may be entitled to a Danish Education, if Aarhus Municipality considers it necessary, or
There are no Danish language requirements to attend a Danish Education.
To participate in the official Danish Education, you will need to register at a language school. In the City of Aarhus, we refer to our language School, CLAVIS Sprog & Kompetence.
You are entitled to up to five (5) years of Danish language lessons.
In order to start your Danish Education, you are required to pay a deposit of DKK 2,000. The deposit is to be paid directly to your chosen language school. Should you complete the various modules within the allocated timeframe, your deposit will be reimbursed to you. If your are in Denmark as an au-pair, you do not have to pay the deposit.
CLAVIS can provide you with further information regarding the payment and reimbursement of the deposit.
If you are offered a program through the Integration Act
The following guidelines apply to you if you are:
- A refugee or asylum-seeker
- If you have been family reunified from a country outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland
- If you are self-sufficient and have been offered a program as a part of the Integration Act
You will be offered the official Danish Education from CLAVIS, free of charge as a part of your program. If you have any questions, please contact CLAVIS, your caseworker or Jobcenter Aarhus - Integration 41 85 84 17.