Can I volunteer in Denmark?
This means that you don't have to apply for a work permit to carry out volunteer work if you already have legal residence in Denmark.
Therefore, you do not have to apply for a permit to carry out volunteer work (this doesn't apply if the main purpose of your stay in Denmark is to volunteer).
The work you carry out as a volunteer must be:
- Unpaid and without remuneration
- Be a job, that is normally carried out by a volunteer (an internship is not considered a volunteer job)
It can be carried out:
- In a formal (e.g. in an organisation) or informal setting (e.g. in your child's school)
- Either by written or oral agreement
Examples of places, you can volunteer:
- Humanitarian relief agencies
- Sports or leisure associations
- Social volunteering
- At cultural events
- Visitors service
- Refugee relief organisations
- Parish associations
You can read more about the rules and regulations of volunteering in Denmark, when volunteering is not the main purpose of your stay in Denmark, on the website of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).
If you wish to come to Denmark to volunteer
Please be aware that special rules apply if your main purpose of coming to Denmark is to become a volunteer. You can read more about coming to Denmark as a volunteer on the website of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).