Cycling in Aarhus
Bicycle paths and routes
You are allowed to go by bike in most of Aarhus, as a form of transportation from A to B or for taking a trip to the countryside, the forest or to your favorite beach.
In the city centre you should take a look at the blue signs at the beginning and end of the shopping streets. If the sign states 'Kørsel tilladt' you are allowed to use your bike.
Basic bicycle rules
Follow the rules below to have a safe and enjoyable cycling experience in Aarhus:
- Always use a bike lane
- Keep to your right
- Use hand signals. Put your hand up in the air before you stop and signal to your right before turning
- Get off your bike and walk on pavements or pedestrian crossings
- Look over your left shoulder before you overtake other cyclists
- Put on your bike lights after dark so that others may see you and you avoid getting fined. A white light at the front and a red light at the back are required.
- It is illegal to make a direct left turn at an intersection. Ride straight across to the opposite right corner of the intersection, stop and wait for the traffic light to turn green before you go.
- Give way to pedestrians at intersections, traffic lights and bus stops