NemID is your personal secure login for using public self service solutions, for reading your Digital Post, online banking etc.
If you have an appointment with Citizen Service (Borgerservice) at Dokk1 to get your CPR number your NemID may be issued during the same appointment.
If you have already obtained a CPR number you will need to book an appoinment with Citizen Service to have your NemID issued. Please inform yourself of the requirements for obtaining a NemID below before booking an appointment.
In need of a new NemID code card?
If you have a NemID and have run out of codes on your code card, you can request for a new one online.
You may also order extra code cards if you have not run yet run out of codes, but needs to be sure that you have enough codes e.g. if you are leaving Denmark but still in need to access e.g. your digital post from abroad.
What is NemID?
NemID consists of User ID, a Password and a code card with codes (one-time codes). When you log on, you enter first your User ID and your Password, and then a code from your code card.
The code card is a small laminated card, the size of a credit card, carrying printed codes (one-time codes).
Who can obtain NemID?
You can obtain NemID when:
- You have a Danish CPR number
- You have reached the age of 15
- You are able to meet the ID requirements.
You need not be a Danish national. You can obtain NemID if you have a CPR number and valid ID. It is important that you have valid ID. Read more about valid ID in the section below about valid ID.
How do I obtain NemID?
There are several ways to obtain NemID. You can:
- Obtain NemID via citizen services
- Obtain NemID via online banking
- If you are living abroad you can order NemID online (requires Danish passport or Danish Driver's licence).
Obtain NemID via citizen services
You can obtain NemID through personal appearance at a citizen service centre or a tax centre. Remember to book an appointment at the citizen service center and bring valid ID.
Obtain NemID via online banking
If you make an online banking agreement with your bank, you can obtain NemID via the bank. For more information, please contact your bank.
Order NemID online
If you are living abroad and have a Danish driver’s license or a Danish passport, you can order NemID on the NemID website.
You will need to pick up your temporary activation password at a Danish representation in the country you live in. You need to bring valid ID. Please note that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs imposes a fee of DKK 200 (2021) for the extradition.
You will also receive a letter with your code card at your address. You will need both your code card and temporary activation password to activate your NemID.
Please remember to bring valid ID
You need to show valid ID before you can obtain NemID through personal appearance.
You have several options regarding ID:
ID with photo
One of the forms of valid (not expired) photographic identity card presented below.
- National driver’s license issued in an EU/EEA Member State, Greenland or the Faroe Islands
- Passport issued by a public authority in your home country
- Military ID card (from Denmark)
- NATO passport
- Police ID card (from Denmark)
- Residence permit with photo issued in Denmark
- Danish banks’ ID card
- National ID card with photo issued by a public authority in your home country and which can be used as a travel document in Schengen states.
ID without photo
If you do not have any photographic identity card, you must bring two other types of ID, one of which must hold your CPR number. Please note that if you produce ID without photo, you cannot obtain the code card immediately. It will be sent to your address as listed in the national register.
- Birth or name certificate
- Health insurance card or certificate of residential address
- Latest annual statement or preliminary income from SKAT (Danish Tax and Customs Administration)
- Documentation of receipt of public benefit (not dating back more than three months).
Please note that at least one of the ID cards must be your health insurance card, certificate of residential address, or birth or name certificate. Please note also that if your NemID is obtained via your bank and you later on wish to use your NemID as a public digital signature via citizen services, you must show ID with photo.
Where can I use NemID?
You can use NemID for public authorities’ self-service, online banking as well as a great number of private websites.
Help with NemID
If you need help with NemID, you are always welcome to contact a citizen service centre.
You can also contact NemID support.
Call support: +45 72 24 70 50
Monday - Friday 08.30 - 20.00
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 10.00 - 16.00
24 December and 31 December 10.00 - 14.00