If you already have an appointment with SIRI at Dokk1, and you receive your EU residence document during your appointment, you will be reffered to Citizen Service (Borgerservice) to have your CPR number issued subsequently.
However, please apply for a CPR number in advance of showing up at Dokk1. Follow the guide under "online application for a CPR number" below. Please do not book an appointment with Citizen Service.

If SIRI is unable to issue your EU residence document at Dokk1 e.g. if you have not brought the necessary documents for your appointment: Please do not book an appointment with Citizen Service before you have been issued with an EU residence document. Please apply for a CPR number online (below) before appearing in person at Dokk1.

If you have a valid EU residence document from an earlier visit to SIRI (issued within the last 6 months from before applying for a CPR number), please apply for a CPR number online (below) before appearing in person at Citizen Service. Please book an appointment with Citizen Service.


When you have an EU residence document, your next step is to get a CPR number. As an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen you are entitled to register for a CPR number if your stay exceeds three months and you must register if it exceeds six months.

You must:

  1. apply for a CPR number online (unless you have a CPR number from a previous stay in Denmark)
  2. book an appointment to appear in person at Citizen Service (Borgerservice) at Dokk1 to complete your registrations. 

When you appear in person at Citizen Service, you will also choose a general practitioner (family doctor).

Read more about the CPR number below.

Online application for a CPR number

Please have the following documents ready for upload:

  • EU residence document from the The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)
  • Passport or national ID with photo (must include your place of birth)
  • Proof of your address in Denmark e.g. a rental contract
  • Marriage certificate, if you are married - even if your partner is not accompanying you
  • Divorce certificate, if you are divorced
  • Death certificate, if you are a widow(er)
  • Birth certificate for any accompanying child under 18
  • Documents concerning legal custody, if you are not married to your child's other parent.

Your documents must be in Danish, English or German.

For your subsequent appointment with Citizen Service, please bring the receipt you get from your online CPR application and the original documents mentioned above.

Health insurance card (Sundhedskort)

Approximately 14 days after your CPR registration has been completed, you will automatically receive a yellow health insurance card (sundhedskort) by post.

The card is your documentation that you are entitled to the services offered under the Danish national health insurance scheme. It carries your CPR number, your address and the name and address of your GP.

You must bring the card when going to see your general practitioner, a hospital or other health care facilities. It is often also used as an ID.

When you register for a CPR number Citizen Service will provide you with a temporary health insurance card on paper which you must use until you get your actual health insurance card by post. 

Read more about the yellow health insurance card.