If you will be staying in Denmark for more than three months, your next step, after having received your residence permit, is to register your address and get a CPR number – your Danish social security number.

You must:


Online application for a CPR number

Please have the following documents ready for upload:

  • Residence permit
  • Passport or national ID with photo (must include your place of birth)
  • Proof of your address in Denmark e.g. a rental contract
  • Marriage certificate, if you are married - even if your partner is not accompanying you
  • Divorce certificate, if you are divorced
  • Death certificate, if you are a widow(er)
  • Birth certificate for any accompanying child under 18
  • Documents concerning legal custody, if you are not married to your child's other parent.

Your documents must be in Danish, English or German. 

For your subsequent appointment with Citizen Service, please bring the receipt you get from your online CPR application and the original documents mentioned above.

Health insurance card (Sundhedskort)

When you appear in person at Citizen Service, you will also choose a general practitioner (family doctor).

Approximately 14 days after your CPR registration has been completed, you will automatically receive a yellow health insurance card (sundhedskort) by post.

The card is your documentation that you are entitled to the services offered under the Danish national health insurance scheme. It carries your CPR number, your address and the name and address of your GP.

You must bring the card when going to see your general practitioner, a hospital or other health care facilities. It is often also used as an ID.

When you register for a CPR number Citizen Service will provide you with a temporary health insurance card on paper which you must use until you get your actual health insurance card by post. 

Read more about the yellow health insurance card